หน้าเว็บ

วันเสาร์ที่ 5 กรกฎาคม พ.ศ. 2557

Changing Life : City Life

My lifestyle had to be amended: I could not wake up late and be lazy anymore. It was better to be early for work than to report late, so I started the habit of getting up at 5.30am, doing my bathroom routine and running to catch the bus. If one was to wake up just slightly late (let’s say after 6.00am), it would be wiser to walk to work since that would be faster and money is saved! Haha…



The HR manager informed me that I have been assigned the supervisor position. It may seem like I was a little boss but actually, I became a slave to my guys! Haha… Why was that so, you wonder? Well, if any of them took leave, I had to step in anytime! When the chef did not turn up for work, I had to pacify customers and pretend that our dishes were sold out. We could only serve omelettes for breakfast since that was all I knew how to make! Haha…

There was a sentence that my boss would always say when I got disheartened, "your position needs to be able to do everything, then you will teach yourself new things." It had been the third month but I had not seen anything new. Only I was the newest.

I received a measly pay for the job. While I managed well, it was rather tough to save much since Bangkok was a relatively pricey city to live in. I was indeed fortunate to have free accommodation and food. During months when my budget got too tight, I became a professional James Bond: I would secretly take some meat from the kitchen at my workplace while hiding from strategically installed surveillance camera. Haha… Those were the days… All of us were skilled in this especially during the last week prior to payday.

My last position before resigning was a chef. “So cool”… I was in the service line for almost a year. Many things I learnt; many friends I made, most of whom were from neighbouring countries such as Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar. Just a few months back, I was invited to the wedding of my friend’s sister, which was held in Cambodia. Cans of beer were served at the function, rather than the usual bottles of whisky or beer that we normally had in Thailand. How interesting!


In the service industry, we could not expect to have a day off on a weekend for sure. On those when my friends organised to meet up, I was the first to turn them down. It was only on rare occasions that I could catch up with my friends. The service job also required me to stand for long hours. Even when there were no customers, we were told not to sit down. I decided to resign on the pretext of the classic reason: “I miss my hometown”.

I secured a new job one week after I left. It was an office job where I only had to pick up incoming phone calls. It seemed like a career in a call centre environment but the only language conversed was English. The job paid well. Skeptical thoughts began to surface in my head; I wondered why I was only required to do such simple tasks, until I realised that the job involved night shifts as well. In spite like this, I reasoned to myself that this was the usual requirements of a call centre since customers had to be serviced 24 hours a day, and this job was much better than the last!

I managed to save some money preceding my resignation. I could only last for four months... My eyes were turning puffy and black like a panda due to the abnormal working hours! Haha… I knew that I could not stay unemployed for too long in a city like Bangkok. However, one day during lunchtime, I received a call from a friend. He was finding someone to drink with… Not! He knew of a job opening in Chonburi, a city about an hour’s drive from Bangkok. I went for an interview with the company, but at the back of my mind, I had just wanted to meet my friend. It turned out that the HR person in charge wanted me to start work on the following Monday if I was available. My life required a second change when I had to move there.



ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น